1 cup carrots, grated
1 cup raisins (choose an all-natural one)
1/2 cup agave nectar (or 100% pure maple syrup)
1/4 cup dates, nice and chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (sub for gluten-free if you desire)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (sub for gluten-free if you desire)
1/2 cup bran
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped real good (optional)
- Turn up the heat, and set your oven to 175C (350F).
- Add all the carrots, sweet raisins, agave, dates, and spices to a large saucepan.
- Pour in 1 3/4 cups of water, stir, and get things really hot.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until carrots and dates are super soft, stirring occasionally. Then remove that beautiful mixture from the heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk your remaining ingredients (flours, bran, and baking soda). Stir in the cooled carrot mixture until evenly combined. If you’re feeling the walnuts, you can add those too.
- Spread that batter into a nonstick 23cmx23cm (~9inx9in) baking pan, and smooth out the top.
- Bake until a fork inserted in the center comes out clean (around 45 minutes).
- Serve warm (or at room temperature if you can wait that long) and enjoy—guilt-free!
By Donna Wild